1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Feb 1, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I hired 100% of the applicants that wore a pocket protector...

[​IMG]

2. Hey Soccer, Here's something I noticed about small and mid-sized cities hiring people out of college: they like personality more than anything because they feel they can train you on the other stuff (even though most newspapers absolutely suck at making time to train young writers) so my advice is be an extrovert and ask a lot of questions about the paper and the editors. Be curious. You may be an introvert in real life, as most of us are, but show them in that setting that you can be relaxed, easy going and inquisitive. Sure you're answers to the above questions matter, but they're not going to be a lot different than anyone else's. Just be happy, self-confident and listen. Be a reporter.

3. God, can't believe I wrote you're instead of your on that last post... my apologies.

4. fishwrapper

This is actually important...
    If interviewing in Canada, make sure your CANADIAN PASSPORT is up to date (aka mullet).

[​IMG]

5. fishwrapper

Two things everyone should know going into an interview:

1. Know yourself.
    2. Know the product.

After that, it's like a Mad Lib...filling in the blanks.

6. That's basically what I was blathering about, but it in a nutshell.

Nicely done, fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted