1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

I'm in the process of setting up an interview for an entry-level job.

I've never interviewed for a newspaper job (i've interviewed for other things like marketing/communications, etc).

Since it's something I think I would like, I'm not looking to fuck it up.

Aside from not saying things like 'fuck it up' in the interview, what kinds of questions should I expect to be ask/should I ask? Also, I wouldn't think it would be different for a newspaper job, but I should dress in a suit/tie for the interview right?

These might seem like stupid questions, but again...don't want to mess it up.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What kind of entry level job?

Regardless, I would ask about how you handle deadline situations, what kind of experience you have, what are your strengths, what are weaknesses (better have an answer for that).

Otherwise it depends on the job -- writer, copy desk, clerk, do-everything, person.

3. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

It's an entry-level sports writing position.

4. NYJScribe

NYJScribe New Member

Wear a suit.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Then I would ask about your experience covering a variety of sports, your background knowledge of sports, your experience writing and writing on deadline, your attitude toward editing.

I would want to know for starters:
    * If you think you know everything (bad) or are willing and eager to learn.
    * If you seem to want to cover certain sports but I would have to use a shotgun to get you to cover others (bad).
    * If you resist editing (bad) or embrace it.
    * If you seem too shy or too much in love with your own voice to effectively interview people.
    * How much computer experience you have, how good you are on deadline.
    * If you know the basics of journalism and libel laws.
    * If you are willing to work cheap.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wear the tie.

Is this paper in an area you know well? If not, read up online or have some back issues mailed to you. Have some pointed, constructive thoughts about the section and how it goes about its business.

7. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

This is all helpful...thanks a lot. It's in the state I live in, but about two hours away and not in a major city, so I don't know much about it. I will try to read up as much as I can from their sports coverage online.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

In my first interview, during my senior year second semester, the managing editor of the paper leans back in his chair and starts firing all these sports questions at me, like, "Do you think that the Portland Trailblazers have a shot at the NBA title?"

Like on top of 20 hours of course work to graduate and everything else I had going on, I was supposed to be following every sports league inside and out in case it came in hand for preps job I was hoping to land.

I did get the job.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Have some sort of answer for the question: Are you a better writer or reporter. I've been asked that on at least half the interviews I've had.
    Be prepared to talk about web stuff, not necessarily that you know the technical side, but have some ideas about where the paper can go on the web.
    And, absolutely, wear a tie.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

if you really want to impress, a BOLO TIE.

[​IMG]

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Expect them to give you some sort of editing test.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Make sure your shoes look nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted