1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

interviews- mileage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

I was brought in to interview for an out-of-town, entry level sports reporter opening. Although I was told I was the second place candidate (awesome...fuckers), I ultimately was not offered the job.

Should I have been compensated for mileage for driving out for the interview? It was something like 150 miles away.

I'm not really sure how this kind of thing works. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Every paper has a different way of handling that. Sometimes they pay mileage as though you were on the payroll, sometimes they don't do anything. One place had me cover a game as a writing test, and I was paid as a freelancer (didn't get the job, but the $40 at least paid for the gas).

You're probably out of luck at this point if they haven't given you anything yet. Best to ask them at the interview.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

If they haven't given you anything by now and already picked someone else, don't hold your breath waiting for a check.

In the future, my advice would be to ask about reimbursement ahead of time. While you may come off looking a little cheap, you can then make the decision about whether to drive down for the interview knowing the answer to this question.

4. However,
    IF you itemize your taxes, you can deduct the job interview's mileage (at .44 per mile).

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Always ask about mileage. I know you're trying to make a favorable impression, but that doesn't mean they can treat you like a chump. You deserve to be compensated for your time.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In 1983 I flew home on vacation and set up a few interviews, one at a major metro and two at mid-majors. None of them had an opening, nor did they expect to. They were doing me a favor by seeing me, basically.

The guy at the major metro winds up the interview, hands me a mileage form to fill out. He says, "Did you rent a car to drive here? We'll pay for that, too." I told him that really wasn't necessary, that I rented the car for vacation and also used it to interview at two other papers. He shrugged.

About a year later I had landed at a different major metro, my first. One of our writers took me out drinking with some out-of-town writer friends. One of them was from Mr. Generosity's paper. I ask, "So how's Mr. (Doe) doing?" The writer said, "Oh, he got fired months ago. He was way over budget."

7. Where's the debate? The paper should pay all interview expenses. Period.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, if they brought you in, they probably ought to pay for it. If you called them and asked to visit, it's on you. Either way, if you don't get paid, deduct it.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should? Sure.

Should doesn't fill the gas tank, though.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

48.5 cents this year!

11. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

Update....just got the reply. "I'm sorry but that is not something our company does."

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Companies do vary wildly on this. Bigger newspapers routinely pay to fly in and put up candidates for jobs as reporters and such.

Lots of big, otherwise generous companies in other fields don't do that at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted