1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing while driving...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 10, 2007.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

My cell phone can record, only bits at a time though. Still, one night after a race, a driver called me, 1, 2 in the morning, to tell me his car was disqualified. It was a late model deal, not that earth shattering, but the driver was pretty good and pretty upset he got disqualified. He caught me while I was driving home, just talked to him, didn't take any notes, couldn't write a story that night anyway, it was past deadline. But the driver went from being really upset to calm and explained exactly what happened. I talked to him for the 30 minutes it takes me to get home and got a lot of information out of him. All of which I got on the record in a follow-up interview. Worked out pretty well, but I wasn't on deadline either. Still, it can be done.

2. Absolutely anything - desk phones, cells, Blackberries, etc. Its magic is independent of the communications device: it doesn't actually attach to anything other than your recorder. I don't know anything about technology, but...in essence, what it does is a high-tech version of what you do when you put your phone on speaker and hold it beside your recorder.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I just pull over and pull out the pen and paper. If anyone has the name of this magical device and where to find it, please let me know.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

6. While driving? Shit, I did an interview once while playing first base in a slow pitch softball game.

7. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

8. Flash

Flash Guest

9. I just found the box. It's the Sony ECM-TL1 Electret Condenser Microphone.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

11. I did an interview while driving along I-95 recently. Couldn't really help it. Needed the interview. Pulled off the first exit I could.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was called about any interest I had in joining a paper while driving on I-40 (I think that's the number) up the panhandle of Texas toward Kansas.

Draft saved Draft deleted