1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview with Gore Vidal.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 4, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/displayPrintable.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/12/03/svvidal03.xml&site=6&page=0

His new memoir "Point to Point Navigation" has just been published.

'The French auteur theory of the 1950s had a lot to do with it. People who might have written books started trying to make movies instead. I remember all these terrible hacks in Hollywood coming up and telling me, ''I'm an auteur, you know." And I would say, ''I always knew you were by the way you parted your hair."

and............

'So you don't believe in such a thing as 'a gay sensibility'?'

Vidal gives an audible shudder. 'If you believed in that you'd have to believe in a heterosexual sensibility, and heaven only knows what that would be like.'

They don't make them like that anymore.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

“Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in your goddamn face, and you'll stay plastered.” </WilliamFBuckley>

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I enjoyed his appearance on Family Guy

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, Vidal vs Buckley.
    The Ali/Frazier fights had nothing on these two.

5. Watched it in real-time with Mom and Dad, both of whom were, ah, rooting the other way.
    Still loved WFB, though. I would like those kind of conservatives back now, please.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep, two patricians going for each other's throats is always fun.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When I was SE of a weekly in a rural part of the Southwest, my editor ran two syndicated columnists every week: Molly Ivins and William F. Buckley. Many times I received negative reader feedback because our paper ran two "liberal" columnists. These readers, who were unfamiliar with Buckley, considered him "liberal" because he disagreed with the Bush administration's Iraq policy.

Things like that make me despair over the seemingly invincible ignorance that has placed us in the hell-bound handbasket which we presently inhabit.

Draft saved Draft deleted