1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview with DLB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 11, 2006.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Duly noted.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand this: If DLB did the interview via email, why didn't he just type the answers using the afore-mentioned 'professional standards'? Why is it BigLead's responsibility to change it? It's one thing to clean up a verbal interview....but when a writer writes his own responses, it seems reasonable to think he can handle the difference between 'tho' and 'though.'

(And for the record, it didn't bother me at all as is, although it might have been worthwhile to note that the interview was done via email, which would explain the casual style.)

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I think a disclaimer was needed at the least if you aren't going edit.

4. biglead, you're a blog. no one cares that dlb used thru and tho....other than a few clowns on here. it in no way hampered the interview. your blog is casual. you get journalists to talk in a relaxed way they normally don't. stay the course.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The dumbing down of America continues.

Spelling shit that way helps DLB's street cred.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

big lead's e-mail interviews are pseudo-interviews.

why can't 'big lead' get on a phone and actually talk to people?
    possible reasons why not:
    1) too cheap
    2) afraid
    3) can't think on his feet
    4) other bloggers would ostracize him - conversation violates blogging code
    5) big lead is a 75-year-old grandmother posing as a hip young blogger

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I posted the initial criticism, and it was of DLB, not Big Lead, because it was obvious to me that it was an e-mail interview. It was only after Big Lead came on here like a horse's patootie to basically say we shouldn't even notice such things that I told him why we should -- and why he ought to edit his site if he wants professionals to take him seriously.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Not quite 75, but the joints are arthritic. Curious what 'cheap' has to do with any of this. On cell phones, aren't all calls ... free?
    And no, I can't think on my feet. Must be sitting down, feet elevated.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you can make free calls with your cell phone, you must have stolen it from someone. I get a damn bill every month.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

I liked the email interview format, and I think a lot of writers would prefer it. A more comfortable medium, plenty of time to think about your answers, the safety net of a self-edit... I think it's neat, if you're interviewing writers, to ask them to write.

Oh, and Henry Hecht called. He wants his name back.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Could you imagine if we gave our subjects that opportunity to reflect?

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

True, but I think with writers, you'll actually get more out of them this way, not less -- because they want to be entertaining and they're comfortable with the written word, mostly, but for other reasons, too.

See: Whitlock, Jason.

Draft saved Draft deleted