1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview with DLB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This guy brings some interesting reaction around here, so here's an interview with him to digest:

http://thebiglead.com/?p=1462

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

WTF is that smeared off the photo across his forehead?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Interesting. No fault of the interviewer, but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know/suspected.

The last question is what's going to irk people, didn't really bother me though. What I don't like is his dismissiveness of objectivity. He makes an interesting point, but he approaches it from the angle of making an excuse for himself to allow bias on just about anything.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He prattles on about nuance and depth of people's character. But he means only the black athlete.

He consistently rips what he calls "air-conditioned America (read: whites)" with none of this apologist bullshit.

He is the JWill of journalists.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if LBT still thinks the Fort Lauderdale PD was wrongfully harassing Ricky as he wrote a few years back. No mention of it in interview.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing's changed -- he's still a boob.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Worked with DLB before he became a columnist and I think a lot of the criticism of him is unfair. At his best, he's a great columnist.

But, cripes, he writes "thru" and "tho"? When did he become an illiterate?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At Miami... it all makes sense now...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why is The Big Lead interviewing D'Lo Brown? :D

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Probably just writing in e-mail-ese. Maybe Big Lead could have cleaned that up.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Looks like a bad high-school yearbook photo, pompadour and all.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The guy pisses me off. He is talented, truly so, but he's fallen into that Whitlock trap of mistaking honesty for truth. No, no, no - they are not the same thing. Just because some jackass athlete says it, feels it and means it doesn't mean it's more valid. If a guy says, "the only thing I care about is me and getting mine," Le Batard finds that refreshing. I find it cliched and insulting. I don't particularly hold personal authenticity in high regard. A good example can be found in your newest Rolling Stone, in which Snoop Dogg is given a remarkable free pass for leaving his wife and kids for a year or so to become a pimp. It's okay, of course, cause pimping is in his blood and all.

Does anybody else wonder why a bleeding heart with this apparent portal into doughy heart of bad men is stilll dicking around with sports? Le Batard is a good enough writer/sympathetic ear to use his skills toward some effort far more purposeful than reminding everyone that Lamar Thomas shouldn't have been fired for perpetuating the black stereotypes that Le Batard castigates others for creating.

I think you can sum up the guy's philosophy like this: If you can show me the right mix of angst and articulation, I'll polish you up real good.

Draft saved Draft deleted