1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview studs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Yeah, why is that?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The good ones have more mobility.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Because people tend to think about their failures far more than their successes.

4. Especially when they won't leave ...

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is especially true. If you hire a stud, he/she is going to get offers. Dooley is so right.
    On the other hand...The bad hires are "401K building."

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

Years ago, I was one of three people who took out a job candidate and his wife for dinner. This person was good friends with the executive editor so it was pretty much a given he'd get the job. Job candidate orders a bottle of wine with dinner. After dinner we talk about writing, the newspaper business, etc. Job candidate orders a round of shots. Then another. And another. Two hours later we're all hammered and the tab is over $300. Next day we turn in the expenses. Executive editor gets pissed. Job candidate gets the job.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, I've interviewed for three jobs in my career and got all of them. So that must be something.

8. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Rub it in, Bob. Rub it in.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And did you do anything noteworthy? Or are you just that damn good?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A friend of the family is a VP (of a 17 billion dollar wing of the company) for GE and he went to college in Beaver Falls, PA and Moon Township.

Needless to say, the fucker can interview.

He says always overdress, have good polished shoes, a good haircut, good nails, be professional, know something about what you are interviewing for and the last one might be the most depressing; you need to be in shape or at least carry your weight well.

Interviewing is like meeting a woman; you know after the first 30 seconds if this is someone you are interested in and they do not even have to open their mouth.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've been offered every journalism job I've ever applied for. Of course, there are also like 17 for which I've applied and never been contacted. :)

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here, IJAG. Four interviews, four jobs. Of course, I've got about 10 letters and e-mail from newspapers who wanted "someone with more experience."

Draft saved Draft deleted