1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jrw, Mar 8, 2011.

1. jrw

jrw Member

If given the choice, would you rather do an in-person or phone interview for a lengthy feature piece?

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

in person is always best unless they are too far away to meet with.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

With in person, you can pick up on nuances (motions, grimaces, looks of contemplation, that sort of thing). You can also use the environment to enhance the interview, or the story.

On the other hand, some people are more comfortable talking on the phone because they can do it from a comfort zone, without someone right there on them.

Lean towards in person, but if the subject prefers a phoner, that works too.

4. jrw

jrw Member

Really appreciate the advice. The person I'm interviewing is fine doing in-person or one the phone, so I'm leaning towards the former. I still figured it was a question worth asking. Thanks!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In person is always better than phone if you have a choice.

You might see something that sparks a line of questioning, you might meet someone who ends up in the story, see details to add to the story, etc.

Beyond that, make sure you prepare for the interview. Study up on the subject as best you can.

Nothing worse than coming away from an interview and realizing later some significant fact about that person that you knew nothing about.

6. jrw

jrw Member

Thanks for the advice, Ace!

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If you're going to use it as a lead feature or big story, and not bury it on the inside, then I think it's always preferable to do the interview in person. As others have said, you can pick up on mannerisms and what not. Even better, try to do it at their home or office if they're amenable to it, since you can pick up plenty about a person by what they have hanging up on the walls.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you just need a quote from someone for a story or reaction to news, a phone interview makes sense. You don't want to run around the county getting quotes from coaches for a high school track roundup.

But if the person is the focus of the story, or it's a lengthy interview about some subject, in-person is always best if you can swing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted