1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I have an interview -- my first in a few years -- later in the week. Is it a good idea to bring along additional clips or is the stuff they've already received enough?

Thanks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they are just as good, better or show more variety, sure. Doesn't hurt.

If they are clips you didn't like as well as the stuff you sent, why would you?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

To add to what Ace said, if they help you sell yourself more and make you look like a better hire, go for it. If not, don't.

I just went through the interview process. I'd usually bring extra clips, but they were more for presentation or were things that I didn't send them, but talked about in a cover letter or phone interview. For example, in my resume I talk writing/editing for a gameday tab. I sent a cover piece I did for the tab as a clip, but brought the whole tab to show them at an interview. During a phone interview I was asked about some of the more creative things I've done. I mentioned an NCAA tournament package I did when the team I was covering hosted the first two rounds. I did capsules for each team, had a feature and worked with a designer and a graphics person on some other items in the package. The story was good, but now one of my top 5. The package as a whole was great (or so I think). Showing them that page allowed me talk about my work ethic, creativity and ability to work as a team with other members of the desk/ other departments. Showing both of those allowed me to do some selling and bring up some strengths they might not have asked me about.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU'RE HIRED!!!!

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

is their a thread somewhere that has a bunch of interview tips. I have an interview one week from today.

6. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

nevermind found a bunch...use the search function skinsnoles21

Draft saved Draft deleted