1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview outline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by usa87gt, Dec 14, 2008.

1. usa87gt

usa87gt New Member

My editor wants me to do a outline for a interview/exclusive that iam going to be doing.What sould it look like format,etc...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did you ask him?

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Perhaps the most vague of all the vague questions ever posed here.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This post comes from the person who asked if a 15-year-old can get credentials to a game.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Outline what you are going to do the interview about?

Don't know what questions to ask? What do you want the story to be about? Ask questions that someone who is reading the story might be interested in.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

If you actually do this, I think you might be the first journalist ever to outline an interview.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Nothing wrong with having a list of questions, notes before an interview, but you had better be flexible. If you're simply reading a list of questions like a robot, you're subject will probably give robotic answers.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Take a piece of paper -- or a Word document -- and set up a list of 10 possible questions for the main subject in your piece. Once you're done with all 10, go through them and come up with possible follow-ups for any you think would add a little more color to your story.

Your editor, and I suggest asking him or her because, ultimately, only he or she knows the correct format, probably just wants to see that you're on the right track. The format, my guess, isn't the important part. The ideas are.

I'd use this format:

1. What/Who inspired you?

A. When you first saw him, what was your impression?

2. ...

3. ...

4. ...

5. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted