1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview for first full-time gig

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eddie_Vedder, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Now that's a way to make a great first impression :-X

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Cansportschick

I think we should take a vote as to how many broadcast wannabes/or actual broadcast people wore that to an interview.

If I were the prospective employer and someone came in the room with that on:

:eek: :eek: :-X

Go with wearing black and white solids. Works the charm all the time. Make sure your clothes aren't wrinkled.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Cansportschick,

Usually lawyers/agents don't come in to play on someone's first job. Especially the market Eddie Vedder is exploring.

5. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

thanks for the PMs from those who did that. the reason i asked about the contract stuff was because i just want to be prepared in case that comes up (they want to fill the job fast) and i don't want to go in blindly... since like i said, i've never done this before so i don't know how it works. so thanks for the advice, now i know more of what to expect.

right, a lawyer at this stage in the game wouldn't do me much good. at best, he/she could maybe get me an extra grand a year, but i'd just end up giving it right back to the lawyer right away anyway.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then get a boat and a hummer thrown in as a christmas bonus.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Eddie,

I will echo those who say this stuff will not be part of the interview. Let them figure out that they want to hire you first. The negotiating part starts when you hear them say the phrase "we want to hire you," and to do it beforehand will only screw up your chances.

If/when you get to the final negotiation stage I would definitely talk to them about the U-Haul. It's a relatively small one-time expense for the station, so it's one they're more likely to agree to than ongoing issues like salary or contract outs.

And honestly, unless the place is a real rathole I wouldn't make a huge deal out of contract outs in the first two years. You should be dramatically better after two years doing it full-time, so think about the next step then. I knew a lot of people in my small market days who were way too focused on moving up and not focused enough on improving at the craft.

Good luck.

(And my condolences to those who are stuck with non-competes. They were outlawed here a few years ago.)

8. Cansportschick

That's what I thought. I got that verified this weekend from my broadcast contacts who have made it big.

Thanks spup for responding back to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted