1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview for a university instructor position

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cape_Fear, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Has anybody had one of these before?

I have a Skype interview set up for Monday morning and am wondering what to expect in how it might be different from a standard job interview. They know I have no teaching background, and the classes are specialized to sports communications, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I'm curious if anyone else has made this jump and how the interviews were structured.

Thanks in advance.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Make sure you're dressed and close the window that had redtube.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure about how an instructor position interview would go. I would suggest going into it with some ideas on the topics you would cover, content you would use, maybe look to see what the school does currently and who does it well.

I would be ready to talk about when you have presented to groups or talked to students, etc.

Also look at what is in your background when you skype. Might want to take your enpty beer can tower down while filming and slide the bong out of the frame.

Good luck.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Search the Google for sports journalism syllabus to get some ideas about what other faculty are doing. I've done that for a few classes. I haven't copied those syllabi, of course, but got some good ideas.

Draft saved Draft deleted