1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview expenses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by melock, Jun 15, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

I have a friend, who's wife drove him (they left as soon as he put his section to bed at 11 p.m.) from Alabama to Texas to interview. They gave him $75 for gas and his trip back. He took the job anyway, because he wanted to get out of his situation in Alabama.

2. donaugust

donaugust Member

Last job interview I was taking a train about 250 miles for a day trip. I did get reimbursed for the train fare but it was a big hassle. I think if I hadn't gotten that job I might not have ever gotten my money.

As it was, I put it through the company's reimbursement system. I never got it through what I'd have considered normal channels.

3. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

My last interview, at a paper about 4 hours away, the deal was that I pay for the hotel, gas, etc. and they would reimburse me. They wanted the actual gas receipt. I didn't get the gig - after not hearing anything for 6 weeks I kept pestering the ME, and was told they read something on an internet message board that I wrote that they didn't like - and it took me about 3 months to get reimbursed.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

First daily job at a 16K paid no interview expenses, and only $300 for relocation (for an 1,800-mile move).

Second daily job at a 40K paid for flight, hotel and meals. Also paid $1K for relocation.

Interviewed at a 125K back in December. It paid mileage (was 90 miles away) and hotel and meals.

Current job at an 80K paid mileage, hotel and meals for me and my fiancee. Also paid $2K for relocation.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Should I get into salary, benefits, ect. before even deciding to make the trip. That way I'd know it would at least be worth it right?

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm assuming they didn't list the pay range in the ad. So with that in mind, if you're moving to a bigger paper or better beat, I wouldn't ask until the end of the interview.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Paper's circ is about the same, but the beat would be better.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

My how things change.

Draft saved Draft deleted