1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview duds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I feel like an idiot posting after some of these stories, but:

We had a guy stop at our office once looking for a job. Small-town weekly, tiny little office, at most four people there at once. He was a recent graduate from Big University who specialized in logical argument, and he was looking for a full time position analyzing our paper, articles, columns and editorials to test their logic.

It was really hard to believe. First of all, his degree has to suck because logic should have suggested he was wasting his damn time. Second, logic should have suggested if you're going begging for a job that stupid, you should probably wear something besides ratty jeans and an old t-shirt.

But I don't have a logic degree, so what do I know?

2. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I interviewed for the same job as intramurals. I never went and saw a baseball game but I was begged to go see a hair metal band.....yeah not quite as cool.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's pretty outlandish, too. Not as jarring as a dead SE, but still.

4. jobu

jobu Member

No, I didn't have the balls (much less the qualifications) to ask for the sports editor's position. I was so much in shock, it took me a while just to start thinking somewhat straight again, and when they offered me the copy editing job I had come to interview for, I had to go back home for a few days before I could give them an answer.

(Eventually, yes, I did take the job.)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn solid.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is this the guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted