1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview duds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I have this happen to me frequently. I make follow-up calls the next day, do some extra research that wasn't available the night before and then go out and get some reader reaction. It's all about moving the story forward.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Sure his name wasn't Steve?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We had a kid show up wearing a tie of his alma mater. Not a good idea, since the school is a major part of our coverage. Needless to say, he was done rather quickly.
    There was also the phone interview that kept on going on about how much he hated layout and how badly he wanted out of his current shop because he was designing a page or two every night. Maybe he didn't read the part of the job description that said you would be working the desk at least one or two nights a week.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

An applicant who got a speeding ticket, and then got lost, and then somehow managed to step in a pile of shit, during an eval assignment he was sent out on.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So when you said, "Don't come back with shit," it looks like he got you twice.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anybody go to an interview where they were interviewed by somebody completely under-dressed?

One summer I interviewed for a job and the editor was wearing a button up shirt that wasn't buttoned all the way.

Chest hair all over the place. He also had some nasty high-top gym shoes which were a huge turnoff, especially when he reclined and but them up on the table. No lie.

It was a sloppy mess to say the least, and to make matters worse, the air conditioning was not working and it was over 90 degrees outside. Needless to say, I didn't take the job.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just hope he has the good decency not to wear it on a morning talk show. That would be embarrassing.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So what? I still got the job.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, I think I worked for that guy!

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That kid did get the job, yes. I was him, he was me.

My closest friend (a photog) wore a freakin' suit at what was the first day at a first job for both of us. It was about 99 degrees that day. What a moron.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

During an interview at a small daily, I wore a three-piece. Near the end of the interview, after I was offered the job, he said, "Don't you dare show up wearing something like that. ..."

12. jobu

jobu Member

I once showed up at the airport for an interview, but the sports editor who was supposed to be picking me up wasn't there. I called the office, but they hadn't seen him, either. There was a rack card in the airport with his picture on it for some try-to-pick-football-games-better-than-the-sports-editor contest the paper was running, so I pointed and asked a lady if she had seen that guy around anywhere. She hadn't either.

Finally, the AME came over and picked me up, took me back to the office and pawned me off on a series of people while he tried to figure out where the SE was. I made chit chat with the sports intern, I sat in on the daily news meeting. While I was sitting with the HR manager, she got a call and excused herself.

They had found the sports editor. Dead in his recliner.

Draft saved Draft deleted