1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview duds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Jan 25, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'll find it for you. Cansportschick knows the story well...

2. fishwrapper

It was a thread about interview or resume advice.
    And, I always answer the same. Wear paisley.
    It's an inside joke that very few get and Cansportschick asked what the deal was, so I explained:

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My first full-time job, some of us went to a bar after work. And we all got pretty hammered. And the bar caught fire. Pretty big fire. I don't think buckets would have done the job. And I have to admit, all but one of us, as we stood shivering on the sidewalk, were just thinking, "Holy shit! The bar's on fire! Where we gonna drink tomorrow night?" But one of my roommates, he's as loaded as the rest of us, but at least has the smarts to run to the payphone on the corner and phone it in to the paper. Then he finds the bar's owner and phones in quotes from him and the fire department guy. He was working on the news copy desk, and about two months later he got hired by a metro, and now he's a news director for a TV station in a major market. I remember thinking, wow, this guy just has faster mental reflexes than the rest of us.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

No, he was the least drunk
    :D

5. fishwrapper

Frank: "Save the women! And the Single Barrel Malt Balvenie!"

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Or, maybe, the most ...

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, but he didn't tell you he set the bar on fire. It was all part of his plan.

8. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Is "all for not" one of those message board things, like looser and moran, or do some people actually write that instead of "all for naught?"

9. fishwrapper

Nope. That should be "naught." Embarrassing.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Did he want to be a pirate?

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I distinctly remember his frizzy-haired friend telling him that he would be the first modern-day pirate.

12. My old m.e. received a resume from someone who worked for AVN - Adult Video News. We joked at how he could make the council meetings sound interesting ...

Draft saved Draft deleted