1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intervention on A&E

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Anybody catch the heroin hits home episode Monday? If so - can somebody recap? Didn't get to see it and A&E is the only network that doesn't replay its original programming 5,000 times.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My boyfriend might have. He loves this show as if his life depended on it. I'll check with him and get back to you.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

Sounds like he might need an intervention for Intervention?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you have Comcast, check A&E On Demand. They usually have six or seven Intervention episodes on there at any given time.

5. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Member

it focused on the heroin problem in south boston and the local paper's efforts to cover the issue. they had stories on 4 kids: pseudo-jock guy, tiny beard guy and then two girls who were best friends. most of them started with OxyContin and moved to heroin because it was cheaper. one of them od'd...while pregnant.
    however, it neglected to feature the best part of any Intervention episode: Jeff Van Vonderen

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I used to watch this show all the time.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Thank you, sausage king.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's still very good - maybe even a little better, because it's not quite so sensationalistic. For awhile, I think the show moved into a "bizarre meth addict" phase that was more of a geek show than a depiction of addiction.

Still hoping the show will branch out a little, and address some of the other addictions in this world more frequently.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I haven't seen this particular episode, but I'm guessing the subject in question was born as a happy, healthy baby that was always rambunctious and active. Throughout high school, he/she was a popular student and good athlete. However, she/he began drinking at an early age in order to deal with his/her Christian fundamentalist parents/the early divorce of the parents/being sexually abused by a parent.

Later, the episode involved a tearful testimony from the subject's brother/sister, who is more than likely married, normal and holding down an utterly successful job.

At long last, the subject is brought to a hotel room, where Jeff Van Vonderen says "I just see a whole bunch of people here who love you like crazy." The men in the room read their "If you continue to do heroin..." letters stoically, while the women in the room are unable to finish their letters because they're crying so hard.

It does not occur to anyone to have their speeches memorized.

Finally, the subject agrees that, yes, he/she will go to treatment. She/he is flown to someplace called New Horizons/New Hope/Hopeful Horizons. Once there, the subject will speak ardently on how he/she knows this is his/her last chance, and that she/he really wants sobriety because there's just too much good things that you miss being high.

Hopeful music plays as the subject looks out from a veranda as the sun sets. The broadcast ends with After being kicked out of treatment, [Subject] is back on the streets of Los Angeles, blowing goats for heroin.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well done.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The shows, actually deviate from that core more often that you're claiming it does. Yes, addiction often does involve the masking of pain - how many people want to ingest paint thinner/sudafed smoke for the fun of it? - and it does involve some of the elements you describe.

But, yes, too many episodes on drug addicts that are way, way down the path of addiction. When you 180 days of treatment flash across the screen - which I've seen a couple times - that's somebody whose systems are shot to hell.

12. They have. They've covered alcohol, drugs (all kinds of drugs), shopping, plastic surgery and eating disorders. I love the show, but I seldom ever feel sorry for the addicts.

One of the last couple of episodes dealt with drug addicts who were gay.
    While show was dealing with their addictions, it never touched the idea of approaching the families, who believed the alternative lifestyle was an abomination - which was the reason the addicts were addicts; no acceptance from their loved ones.
    The show is just so interesting to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted