1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intersection of Extended Family and Religion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Nov 22, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So my cousin and her husband, who my wife and I dearly love, are devout Christians and who have two kids, who we adore as well. One daughter, now 24, told everyone last year that she was gay and there is a rift w her parents. She asked if this year over Christmas if she could stay at our house. Of course we said yes, but we are wondering if my cousin will ask us not to or encourage her to stay with them. I told my wife we just say she asked and we said yes because we don’t want her looking elsewhere out of the family. Never wanted to be a wedge to any family, just want to support our niece.

Oh yeah, cousin know that we don’t share their religion (but we are not confrontational about it never been)

And Happy Thanksgivings to everyone!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think you've done the right thing here. I know it's complicated, but in some ways it's simple: You can't say no to her. So you say yes.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sounds as if you are doing the Christian thing, helping a family member in her time of need. If your devout Christian cousins don't recognize that, they're really just drugstore Christians.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted