1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interracial couple photo causes stir in STL P-D

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Interesting. The white man/Asian woman is much higher than I would have expected.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's what I love about living in DC. Everybody gets mixed up together and nobody cares. I am part of a relatively rare coupling (Hispanic/Vietnamese) and I'm fairly sure we've never gotten a sideways glance.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That one didn't surprise me all that much, there are a whole lot of guys that love Asian women.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My brother married a Japanese girl. I don't think they get many stares, but I once worked with a guy who saw a picture of my niece. He asked if she was adopted, and when I said my sis-in-law is Japanese, he asked, "Why?"

Had no idea how the fuck to respond to that.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Spiritually? In large part? F'n A.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Oh, I've gotten the stares from one particular segment of the population when my white self is out with my Asian wife. A small portion of the Asian male population seems less than wild about it, with "banana" directed at her and "yellow fever" at me. Even in the "broadminded" NE.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Banana?

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. "Twinkie" is the more common insult.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Ah, "Twinkie" is the one I am familiar with. My old roommate has an Asian girlfriend who calls herself a "Twinkie".

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I believe "egg" is the reverse version.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

What is the reverse version of "Oreo"?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. I'm picturing some sort of vanilla Moon Pie, but that sounds a little forced, and now I'm hungry.

Draft saved Draft deleted