1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interracial couple photo causes stir in STL P-D

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ahh St. Louis, where the first question you're likely asked when meeting somebody is "Where'd you go to high school?"

Even when you're in your 30s and 40s.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Well, Akron is the unofficial capital of West Virginia.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, I felt the same way about me and my wife, but I always thought that dress made me look fat. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I have a cousin whose husband is black. They still get stares occasionally from whites. When she's out with their sons, she gets overtly hostile reactions from black women.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've always found the reaction to be much stronger from black women toward black men. They BLAME them, somehow, for not choosing a "strong black woman like your momma."

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I, for one, could never date someone like my mom.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wish sometimes it went the other way. I see a lot of African-American women I might kinda dig, and yet, the culture (as crazy as it would've seemed 30 years ago — cue Sheriff Bart) seems to dictate AA men and white women. Fortunately the gap has closed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracial_marriage

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Really? I would have gone for Boston or New York if I had to guess.

When my ex came back to Seattle with me for a week over Christmas, we never got a second look.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

They were considering getting married in Vegas (second marriage for both) but decided against it and did it at home. They live in the Bay Area. About the best wedding (besides my own) that I have ever attended.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

As someone who has been there, I agree with this statement 100%.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who was more upset by the photo, white men or black women?

12. Where all the white women at?

Draft saved Draft deleted