1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interracial couple photo causes stir in STL P-D

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Apr 10, 2009.

1. That's one word people have used to describe my sense of humor.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My best friend, who is black, once told me that the white girl/black guy relationships get people way more riled up than the black girl/white guy ones do. I have never been able to figure out whay either one is an issue.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

On a personal note, my niece (who is the female I love in this world second only to my daughter) is half-black. I am about as white as they come. The looks that we receive when we go out in public quite frankly shock me. I realize I do live in "the south" but still. It's the freaking year 2009. It just goes to show me how this sort of thing still bothers a lot of people.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Neither should be an issue, you're right. But the reason the former has historically caused more of a problem for some people is that it's an extension of the "protecting OUR women" mantra from white supremacy/nativist groups. Goes back a long, long time.

And, as Liesl said, it's pretty despicable that this still comes up in 2009.

5. I imagine it has something to do with keeping the white race pure.

Not to be all "up with people" but I'd rather keep the human race pure and kick those kinds of people out of the gene pool.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I disagree. I believe the photo has generated a ton of buzz because people are racist.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm guessing some of the white girl/black man uproar comes from someplace other than white men, which tends to be the case in such relationships. It's one of the few interesting takes I've ever heard from Jemele Hill.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We're in our mid-50s now, and two friends of mine from high school -- he black, she white -- got together about 4 years ago at a mini-reunion we had. They dated for a couple of years then got engaged and were married about 2 years ago. During their dating phase, they traveled a lot, big cities, Boston, New York, New Orleans, Dallas. And they said that regarding their race, the most uncomfortable times they had were in Las Vegas.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

There are some black women who get really angry when they see a black man with a white woman.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Preach.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My brother pissed me off something fierce when I introduced him to my GF at my college graduation.

He actually had the balls to say to me "You sure you are comfortable with this situation". For the sake of my mom, who thinks my brother is the second coming, I said nothing. But it took quite a bit of strength to not ask him the same thing about his wife.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My brother-in-law and his wife, both white, recently adopted a child. They adopted a Hispanic child -- a beautiful, beautiful baby boy.

Almost everytime they go out somewhere, someone -- usually an older woman -- will approach my BIL and say "oh, he's not yours, is he?"

He takes it much, much better than I would.

Draft saved Draft deleted