1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interracial couple photo causes stir in STL P-D

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Apr 10, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've heard St. Louis called a city of Northern hospitality and Southern efficiency.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pet peeve alert!

No St. Louis isn't geographically in the south, but it seems too many people caught up in strict geographic interpretations sometimes. Just because a city is in a certain area doesn't attitudes from other areas don't exist or even pervade.

A significant percentage of St. Louis was/is settled by people who came from the south, either long ago or a generation or two ago when factories drew people from economically depressed areas elsewhere. St. Louisians derogatively call hillbillies "Hoosiers" largely because the huge Chrysler plant on the southwest side of St. Louis drew a ton of Indiana's lesser kempt residents to work at it.

There are other examples. Cincinnati is in Ohio, but is southern in some respects. Louisville is in Kentucky, but is northern in many ways.

I lived in northeast Ohio for a time and there are suburbs/neighborhoods there where you can find as many hillbillies as you would in areas where you'd expect to find them.

I'm sure the same applies to deep southern cities. I can't imagine Atlanta is as "southern" as it was in 1950 given move-ins, etc.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Ew ... no!

4. [​IMG]

Uh, sorry Ross. Blue font?

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Actually, that's pretty much the way I feel walking around with my wife. :-\

6. jps

jps Active Member

just checkin, ami ... don't want you turning orange on us.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I think I can only go from being slightly less white.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Close.

She was way out of my league.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. jps

jps Active Member

busch league? [/crossthread]

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am wondering whose toy collection that photo is from.

11. Google image search and photoshop. If I owned a Rancor/Barbie toyset, do you think I would be at work right now?

No.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted