1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bwright, Oct 15, 2009.

1. I don't think many people agree with him. A small minority, perhaps.
    Of course, telling those racist idiots they are minorities would probably make their heads explode.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's a good chance that guy won't be found here.
    http://www.interracialdatingcentral.com/?gclid=CMbpxYCSx50CFRtO2godu3fYsg

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This whole thread is political -- delete it.

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

This board: the land of the enlightened and righteous. I've a feeling if I said the guy is an asshole and a racist and misguided, and should lose his job, and should apologize to the couple, and then I said I regularly see children of interracial couples have a hard time in the Deep South (where Obama did not grow up), someone would call me a racist. And probably someone who has never seen children interact in the Deep South. But hey, go ahead and imply someone (albert) is a racist because they've seen the kind of behavior that, sadly, this misguided person used as an excuse to be an asshole.

Only on SportsJournalists.com.

(As fair a comment as Only in louisiana.)

5. So the solution to other racists mistreating interracial children is to keep their parents from marrying in the first place?
    That sounds both intelligent and American!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. They should just keep plenty of stage makeup handy so that the kid can blend in with whichever race he needs to!!!

Seriously, how can "interracial" kids be at such a disadvantage when nearly ever African-American in the United States who isn't just over from Kenya has white blood in him/her?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Suddenly, I have the urge to hear Al Jolson sing "Mammy."

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My best friend has two interracial kids. He said they get picked on. He also admitted they probably get picked on as much as fat kids, smart kids, shy kids, special needs kids, etc.

Sadly, kids are pretty cruel, especially in school settings where they are playing to their friends.

Keeping people from getting married (a fat couple is more likely to produce fat kids) won't change that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kids are cruel. Some kids get picked on. That mostly has to do with their appearance and self-esteem.

I just don't think biracial kids particularly stand out as targets of bullies.

As I posted earlier, three parents of the 24 kids on my sons football team are white mothers and black fathers. There is no way I could pick them out, if I didn't know who their parents were. Not even close.

Two of my sons friends are black. Both are light-skinned. One of them has two black parents. The other has two white parents (he is adopted).

I just don't see how kids of mixed marriages are singled out any more than any other kids, really.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Update: Justice of Peace resigns position

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_interracial_rebuff

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Didn't say anything about turning in his sheet.

12. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I didn't say that.

I don't think an intelligent person, American or otherwise, would say I did. But maybe you were talking to someone else. One thing I do know: A lot of people here see what they want to see in a post, not what's actually there. My post was more a commentary on the poor logic people often use here to make their arguments. I was in no way defending the guy.

Glad to see he's resigned.

Draft saved Draft deleted