1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internships in Kentucky/Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 11, 2007.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Hey guys (and girls),

I was told about the site by a guy I know who is a journalist. I was wondering if any small newspapers in Kentucky or Southern Indiana were looking for or accepting interns for Summer 2007.

I'm a college freshman with limited journalistic experience for the Kentucky Kernel (the college paper at UK), though by the summer, I will have two semesters of journalism classes and 15-20 published articles and a fair amount of field experience. I have my past clips available and one that will be published soon.

I'm very passionate about writing and am willing to commute a reasonable distance from either Lexington, Louisville or the Leitchfield area.

If this post is in anyway inappropriate for this forum, let me know. Just looking for somewhere to learn and get some more experience.

2. Re: Internships in Kentucky

You're Hired!

3. CollegeJournalist

Re: Internships in Kentucky

???

Sarcasm?

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

O/U on when this gets moved to the JTO board?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's OK, CJ. It's a running joke on this board.

First, from one Kernelite to another, welcome. Best advice I can give you is start sending your stuff out. Send it to every paper you'd work for (which had better be all papers) and get them your 5-6 best clips and a kick-ass cover letter. You'll have to work for free, most likely. If you can't get on anywhere, take some summer classes at UK, work for the summer Kernel, and enjoy Tolly-Ho. Stopped there on my last pass through town... Mmmmm Tolly-Ho.

Anyway, just start mass-mailing people. Or check with the people in the journalism department..they all have crazy connections. Buy Scoobie Ryan a Tab and beg for her help. :)

6. CollegeJournalist

^^Gotcha. I figured it was, just wanted to make sure.

How long ago did you work at the Kernel? I just started this year. My biggest problem is that I'm from Louisville and go to school in Lexington, and neither the C-J nor the LHL are interested in a college freshman with hardly any experience. So I have no knowledge have zero knowledge of the small-town papers in Kentucky.

I have a place to stay near Leitchfield if any of the WKY papers are an option, though it'd be really boring. It's a good ways to any grocery or gas station or any civilization, haha.

I'm taking JOU 204 this semester and have Dr. Jones. Did you have her? I was trying to get in Scoobie Ryan's class but it didn't fit the schedule.

7. Hambone

Hambone Member

First transfer to Western. Then you can get a few real connections.

8. CollegeJournalist

I really wanted to go to WKU until I visited. I hated it.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, you can win awards at Western. Because you get 4-5 days to put together the paper. (SUCK IT, COLLEGE HEIGHTS HERALD!)

I'm way older than you, CJ. I don't know much about the Western half of the state. You might want to PM Freelance_Hack on here, he's from the Louisville area. Maybe he could help you.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Don't work at the CNHI outfit north of Louisville.

11. Hambone

Hambone Member

And the Kenrel has all day to decide which AP stories to fill "thier" paper with. I'd rather be all local and twice weekly than half wire copy and daily.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Half? I think not.

Draft saved Draft deleted