1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internship rejections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azbjn9101, Mar 3, 2009.

1. azbjn9101

azbjn9101 New Member

Just curious if this is one of those template rejection letters. Definitely sounds like it is, but I got earlier today that was more blatant than that. The "You had a strong resume" goes out to everyone?

Both were not personally addressed, that should probably tell it there.

How do you distinguish from a real reply? The various forms of rejection are starting to become amusing. One lady told me over the phone, "We picked our intern for the summer," short pause, "And it's not you."

Another said I finished in second place -- Not sure what to think of about that one but I communicated with the lady for a while and she urged me to apply next year but still it makes you think.

What are some of your funniest/most memorable rejections? How do you tell the real ones?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what he said.

3. azbjn9101

azbjn9101 New Member

I knew I should have clarified this.... By "real" I mean is this just person X replying with an off-the-cuff reply or are they replying with a template that the rest of the rejection stack gets?

4. gretchd

gretchd Member

That whole strong resume bit? Form letter.

They're just letting you down gently, kid.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you get a form letter, you've done better than most. We've had many discussions here about how notifying candidates has become a lost art.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Wow, I'm surprised that newspapers are rejecting interns. My paper struggles to pick up all the free help it can get.

7. thestatman

thestatman Member

Though, most interns are probably expecting to be paid some sort of compensation. Granted, they would be better off getting the experience on the resume, but they would more than likely have to work a second job just to make ends meet.

Only got $200 a month while interning at USA Today.com, and that was just for travel. On the bright side, I'm out of Gannett, so no cringing while the layoffs continue to steadily steamroll through.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

True. My thought was if you made it far enough in the process to get a rejection letter, the "strong resume" stuff -- while, yes, a form of letting you down gently -- ca also mean you at least warranted a rejection letter. You'd probably be surprised at the number of applications sent out by veterans that never boomarang back to them at all. Keep your chin up.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the entire industry is becoming a lost art.

10. RTJ

RTJ Member

Hopefully the paper is around next year.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I got this one not to long ago.

Thank you for your interest in the Philadelphia Eagles. We appreciate you taking the time to discuss your qualifications for the Event Coordinator position.
    You have many skills and abilities to bring to an organization. We are fortunate to have several qualified candidates apply for this position. After careful consideration, we have determined that the credentials of another candidate are a better fit to the needs of the department.
    We will keep your resume on file for review against openings in the near future and we welcome you to apply for any future positions we have available that match your skills and experience.
    Best wishes for a successful employment search.

Sincerely,
    Name

It looks and reads like a template sent to everyone

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, those are form letters. I've come to expect them.These guys get hundreds, perhaps thousands, of applications, so they have to do it that way.

The funiest one I received came during my senior year in college. Being the sadistic type, I started collecting rejection letters. One day I received one from the Tulsa World which read: "We're sorry. The World does not have any openings."

No shit, I thought. Anyone on Mars hiring?

Draft saved Draft deleted