1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internship question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I have a student who is trying to choose between two internships for next summer. One is at a TV station in a top-50 market where there will be chances to do quite a bit of on-air work. The other is at ESPN, where, more than likely, the job will entail typical intern stuff (coffee, copy, maybe some research), but there will be chances to meet folks there, and that's where the student would like to work after graduation.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
  2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd say try for the top 50 station if your student wants to be an on-air personality.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

For the most part, I would agree that the on-air experience is better. Practical experience trumps everything, and a top 50 to start is very good. But, ESPN's overwhelming power in the business leads me to ask the following question: What happens to people who accept that internship upon its completion?

Are they generally kept on? Are they recommended for on-air jobs elsewhere? Or, do they just get told, "Thanks for the coffee runs" and disappear like a Republican on election night?

If there is no hope for retention, he/she should definitely take the on-air. But, if there is hope for the future, maybe starting at ESPN is not a bad idea.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If he/she wants to work at ESPN, work at ESPN. It may not lead to something right now but we all know that so much of it in this world is who you know as well as what you know. If the intern does a good job, someone at ESPN will remember him/her and his/her chances increase.
  5. accguy

accguy Member

The other question I have is what year is this person? I would say go to ESPN if for no other reason than it will look really good on the resume. That's especially the case if this person would have another summer to be an on air intern somewhere.
  6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I know four people who, at some point, went on to be interns at ESPN. Though it was four letters on a resume, it was little more than that. All four, who did vastly different things, said they hated the experience.

Go for the TV station.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If the person really, really wants to work at ESPN, that internship probably makes sense. In virtually any other circumstance I would strongly recommend the top 50 station instead.

And I've known people who thought ESPN would be a dream job, went there, hated it and left. And that was in positions significantly better than the intern/PA route.
Draft saved Draft deleted