1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internship Help Please

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JSM08, Mar 13, 2007.

1. JSM08

JSM08 New Member

I just stumbled upon this message board and I'm hoping that some of you can help me out. I'm currently a junior journalism major at a four-year university and I'm in need of an internship for the summer. The journalism school at my university mandates that I have at least 400 internship hours before I graduate -- 100 of which I can get on campus. I'm currently the editor in chief of the school paper and have put in well over 400 hours, but I need at least 300 off-campus hours. I was a stringer for the Associated Press for a Division I men's basketball team this year and I want to get an internship as a sports reporter for a newspaper, magazine, Web site or any other media outlet. I have been applying to a number of places since last November and have not been accepted anywhere as of yet. If any of you could please point me in a direction or possibly help me out directly I would be extremely grateful. I would like it to be a paid internship, but at this point I am more concerned with landing one more than anything. I know the most difficult part of this business is getting in and right now I'm on the outside hoping one of you can get me in. Thank you for your time.

2. Try ASNE's website, I got my first internship thanks to that site.

3. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

Journalismjobs.com

And no I'm not looking for one. I'm happily miserable where I'm at now.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Send this guy a letter:

William Keller
    229 West 43rd Street
    New York, NY 10036

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Some papers don't advertise internships, but actually send recruiters to college campus job fairs looking for the right candidates, so attend all job fairs your college offers. Other papers accept resumes, but never post their intern openings. Send out as many resumes as you can! Try every major daily in your state and those close by as well. Hope you get a gig this summer.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is there an adviser at your school who might have some contacts?

7. Is it still common to interview with the chains? When I was in college I met with recruiters from Gannett, Knight-Ridder and some others who tried to help place you ... now of course KR is dead and I've since found out that Gannett sucks but still worthy of an internship ...

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

for my internship, i walked into the office at the local daily and asked for one, with clips in hand. talked to the ME, then the SE, and a week later asked if I needed to do anything else.
    he said, 'bring your schedule to me at the start of next semester and we'll go from there.' just go to the local daily there and ask if you can help out with stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted