1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interns saying dumb things...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jun 20, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They're preparing for how they'll be in life.

I think I only knew one idiot female photographer, and that was in college. She used to tell me how to run the news section. Near the end of my term, I was eating pizza and watching TV in the conference room, and she came in with some moronic idea for something we should cover.

I just kept eating my pizza and watching the game. Finally she said, "Should I be telling (other editor's name) about this?"

"Yeah, probably."

Then she left. The other editor came in about five minutes later, tried to pretend she was mad, then burst into tear-inducing laughter about how stupid the idea was.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

when i was in the business this summer intern showed up who turned out to have just graduated from high school. maybe the SE knew he was so young but no one else expected such an inexperienced intern. thing is, this was a big paper that i think got dozens, if not hundreds, of applicants for internships. rumor was that he got the job because his parents were big in the journalism business.

the thing about this kid was that he was a big dude. he didn't look 18 and he wrote pretty well so for the first few days or weeks or whatever, no one knew or cared much how old he was -- he told people which school he went to and didn't mention that he was a rising freshman. but there was one problem that i don't think anyone knew about. one time someone told him to go cover something and he asked how he should get there. they gave him directions and he said, again, he didn't know how to get there. we just looked at him. turns out the kid didn't have a driver's license. and to top it off, he rollerbladed to work every day and on a few occasions rollerbladed down to the local arena the past couple of times he'd been sent out. not a very practical method of transportation in the big city unless you're only travelling a few miles.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

interns should be seen and not heard. except for "yes, sir/ma'm," "no sir/ma'm," and "thank you, sir/ma'm." :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A worthless statement if I've ever heard one. :D

5. lono

lono Active Member

And let's not forget the all important, "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Are you working in my newsroom? We have an intern who has the same holier-than-thou complex.

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Uhh, have you seen a girl by the name of Monica Lewisky?

8. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

They follow direction well though, don't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted