1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interns saying dumb things...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jun 20, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have no clue . . . I'll have to ask.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

We had one demand a laptop during his first week. That went well for him. Kid also watched some games in the office because his girlfriend wouldn't let him watch sports. What a tool.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What's even better is the fresh out of (a mediocre) college kid who had zero internships and minimal student paper experience at the (mediocre) student paper, who still complains constantly about not getting any "good" assignments. Then who says they "don't want to do that" when actual writing and beat coverage opportunities are offered. And who, instead of pushing for more work, just complains that "no one ever gives me an assignment."

Hell, I wish I had competition like that when I was in college and fighting to make my initial mark in the business.

I think today's college kids genuinely think that once they have the degree, they not only have their pick of quality pro sport beats, but they can also create their own situation. You know, where not having to cover anything they don't like is a birthright, rather than a position that might be earned over time.

I wouldn't mind seeing more interns at my shop. I think every newsroom is rejuvenated by them, because the good ones show an enthusiasm and willingness to be great that can kick som of the old dudes in the pants. And the bad ones provide fodder for everyone to make fun of, which of course results in nice newsroom hijinks when trying to slog through a long night.  

4. lono

lono Active Member

I've had good fun luck with interns over the years.  ;)

True story: I was an editor of a small paper and had a painfully shy college girl for an intern one summer. She didn't say two words to anyone in the whole three months she was at the paper.

When her internship was over, per newsroom tradition, the entire staff (about a dozen people) took her to this local dive bar/restaurant for her going-away party.

After the first round of drinks arrived, I hoisted my beer, as did the others on the staff, and I said, "Well, Mary Ann, you've successfully completed your first newspaper internship. Congratulations! Is there anything you'd like to say?"

She got very serious for a second, looked at me and said, "Bogie, how come all the guys I date in college want to f--k me in the ass?"

I spit beer all over the table, as did about half the staff.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

That's at least a nomination for post of the year ...

6. rolling

rolling Member

Well, as an intern, I'll give the low down on my gig, right now.

In less than a month, I've covered some old (60+) dudes riding bikes, little kiddy soccer and bball camps, a couple legion games and a couple semi-pro basketball games. I really want to "work hard", but can only do what they give me. I try to make my stories entertaining, but I bet in all of our 30,000+ circ., three people read my stories...parents included. It's not that I'm looking for bigger/better things to do, there's just nothing here. I spend my hours aimlessly on the Internet, listening to the agate guy mumble incoherently about....well, who knows.

I "work" about six hours a day, get paid for eight. I day dream constantly and instant message even more than I day dream. I get paid waaaaaaay more than I should. I shoot the BS with the desk guys, but other than that, keep quiet unless I'm spoken to. I half-heartedly flirt with the unattractive, slightly heavy news intern because I can.

As for now, I'm content yet bored. Mainly, though, I'd like to think I haven't said any dumb things.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Have you suggested any stories? Gone out and found some cool features that could make fun writing? I've never said no to an intern story that didn't poach on a beat.

8. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Our intern on the news side last night said she couldn't cut from her story because it just flowed so well. When writing in inverted pyramid form was brought up, she asked why anyone would write a news story in iambic pentameter.

I wish I could make shit like that up. We'd have a new Seinfeld.

9. rolling

rolling Member

[quote author=Lester Bangs]
    Have you suggested any stories? Gone out and found some cool features that could make fun writing? I've never said no to an intern story that didn't poach on a beat.
    [/quote]

I think they're having some serious space issues. I bring up stuff now and then, but it's usually, "That does sound interesting, we'll see if we can fit that in a couple weeks." It's kind of funny, because they don't want me to do agate or work the desk...just write, which I'm fine with. I'm also fine being bored too, as long as the paycheck comes every two weeks

10. KP

KP Active Member

Did boots offer you 3 interns for her?

And what's the deal with interns getting paid? I oughta go try and get some backpay from the slavedrivers.

And pictures please or else let's shut 'er down.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was afraid this thread was about me.  ;D

i'm in a strange situation. i'm 33 years old and because i've switched careers, i'm an intern again. this is the second summer i've been an intern. last summer i interned for a guy who was three years younger than me. it was awkward at first, but he was considered a superstar in his office so he had a higher rank than people 5-10 years older than him. still, there were times when it was weird. this summer most of the attorneys are older than i am by at least 10 years so that makes it more palatable.

i think i deal with being the intern well. i'm not a hotshot young kid who has no clue how to behave in an office. i get shit assignments mostly and a few times i've respectfully asked for some better work. thank god for the internet. i can't imagine what it would've been like 10 years ago. unfortunately, being an intern in the legal department of a government agency means not doing anything too substantive. it's not like they're gonna give the intern an assignment that could cost the agency a lawsuit or to render an opinion that would fuck up the entire government.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

With this administation, you never know. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted