1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interns giving journalism lessons

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, May 8, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone have college interns who lecture others in the newsroom on journalism? Just wondering, since the one who sits next to me always asks did you put this or that in your story. It's just a minor annoyance.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

Ask him if he put cream in your coffee?

And if he didn't, why the fuck not

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It has always been thus with hotshot youngsters, and in fact, I probably earned a few STFUs my self before I was 25 or so.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Taunt him about his lack of employment opportunities upon graduation.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

He's a girl, by the way. She's cute, but I'm married and I like my nuts where they are. The intern is just delaying the inevitable job search woes by traveling for several months after the internship.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Interns are good for one thing and one thing only [/billclinton]

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Send her my way. She can critique my stories all she wants.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Taunt her about the lack of job opportunities and how she'll make 75 cents on the the dollar if she ever did get lucky enough to find a job.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

There won't be a job search.

Didn't you hear? She's taking yours.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He would never say it to a girl, but a former colleague (RIP) would be known to point out that "I've been doing this since you were shitting yellow" to loudmouth newbies.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I've heard younger first or second year reporters say, 'You should do this,' or something of that regard. I don't dignify it with a response. Just ignore the comment. If they don't get the hint and again offered a suggestion, I'd jump their ass and tell them to shut the fuck up. Usually ignoring and making it clear I don't give a fuck what they think, works.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's better when they care enough to want to talk about the business rather than disappearing into their earbuds.

Until the whole fucking business went down the crapper, my niece wanted to be a print journalist and was working on the high school paper. Her mom, who's never been a professional writer or designer, took over design/editing of her union's newsletter and asked me to take a look at it. I was starting to say that you don't want to have all the photos the same size, and my niece, who was about 14 at the time and hadn't said a word, chimes in: "Yeah, Mom, you need dominant art!" My sister didn't understand why I was laughing so hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted