1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet? What Internet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A newspaper IGNORES the 'net — and prospers. Greatly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/22/business/media/22carr.html?_r=2&8dpc

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fixed.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From the article.

Editorially, the newspaper is boosterish — “we want people to think of Asbury Park as the center of the universe,” he said — with notes of skepticism typical of alternative weeklies. There are six columnists in addition to the full-time staff, and they write with a mix of attitude and reporting that Mr. Jacobson describes as a “plog,” a blog on paper.

So is this a rag that just decided to not be online? The front page story highlighted on the Web site is Bling in Asbury Park.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

PLOGS!!!!!!

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

;D Wonderful

6. Reacher

Reacher Member

Yeah, that Internets thing isn't going to catch on. Paper and ink are the future! Happy days are here again!

7. I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of the guy. As with a lot of things when it comes to humans and technology, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

It would be difficult for a daily with competition to do this because you become irrelevant pretty quick on your paper's beats.

But there are plenty of times when I wish my own rag would just turn off the Web, post haste.

We talk a lot about what paper will be the first to go Web only.

I want to see what paper will be the first to have the guts to go back to paper only. What do we have to lose, right?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

when i was at a weekly a few years ago, people went online to read us and were forced to buy the paper too. at least from the sports perspective. i covered games galore, would write a preliminary, short piece soon as i got home and ended with a cliffhanger of sorts, and wrote, "for the rest of this story, see thursday's edition." i'd usually have rewritten the entire piece.

those who followed me always said the same thing about the web story: "dammit, Songbird, you ended that at the best part! i couldn't stand waiting those 3 days!"

of course, it was a hyper-local weekly but still, we got the web hits and we sold the hard copies.

kudos to the asbury park guy. stick with what you believe and make it happen your way.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This editor is a fucking genius. Newspapers should have NO WEB SITES. They were sold a bill of goods. Because of this we all will be in the unemployment line soon. Kudos to this guy!!! A brilliant man.

10. onetwo88

onetwo88 Member

His paper has 3.5 employees, it said.

What's the paper, like 6 pages plus ads?

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

is this the .5 employee?

[​IMG]

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, we wouldn't want anything to interrupt your forecast of doom and gloom.

Draft saved Draft deleted