1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet staffing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsed, May 24, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and still get paid for 40. What the hell. And soon enough, it'll mean you get to work 65 hours instead of 60. And then, 70 instead of 65. What the hell.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Until April this year, I worked 80 hour weeks between two jobs. Dropping back to 60 hours felt like a vacation by comparison.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We have one girl who manually cuts and pastes stories off our server and types in headlines. And she couldn't spell "DOG" if you spotted her the D and the O. Since my department often generates the majority of local copy for our paper, the majority of misspelled heads are ours. It pisses me off, and I'll fire off an e-mail and the problem will be fixed for a few days, then it happens again.

It was better with the old system, where everything that was placed automatically was posted on the web at 2 a.m. The website was Mickey Mouse as all get-out, but at least we could control content.

4. GravyTrain

GravyTrain Guest

sportsed. Here you go, I've worked at a pretty decent-sized paper (150,000 circ) and we don't have anybody who's job is specifically to provide online content. Instead, we've taken existing newsroom spots and turned them into an online desk, which takes short stories from reporters and puts them on the web and makes sure they have pictures, etc. No jobs have been added - just some shuffling...

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

Sounds like there's little investment in adapting the offline product to the growing online marketplace. I wasn't expecting to hear that news organizations were swapping, job for job, each layoff at a newspaper for a new position on its website, but I figured there would be some growth. Are the small- and mid-sized papers completely surrendering their niche in the cyber-arena?

Draft saved Draft deleted