1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Sports Editor -- Long Island, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by update!, May 18, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You might have the exclamation point, but I have the underscores.
    MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA(!)

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Be nice and give them a chance.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

You have to pay extra on your subscription for that

4. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

I'm not saying this is a great job but to your comment.........sometimes a part-time job is the answer so one can gain experience

5. But you are not getting much, if any, "journalism" experience with a fantasy sports website. If it fell under the Yahoo! umbrella, then that's something different, but not something like this.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

$10 an hour for 25 hours equals $250 a week, before taxes.

A monthly Long Island Railroad ticket to Huntington is $238. So, once a month, you're clearing a whole $12. And that's if the office is next to the Huntington LIRR stop.

7. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

That's why I said,"I'm not saying this is a great job". I realize that this particular position won't be a resume "wow!" and to go even further,probably an "eye roll". I was commenting more to the remark about the pay in general for living on LI. My point was that sometimes one has to fill in the blanks when digging the trenches.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

If it's simply a Web site, why even have to move to Long Island? Take the crappy pay and move to Kentucky where your money will go a long way.

9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

$12.000 dollars a year thats the figure I have come up with. This is before taxes.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If that's the answer, the question must be "what's the quickest way to knock myself out of mainstream journalism and financial stability?"

11. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

If someone is good at what they do(this case journalism),let's just say they won't be needing to even consider this job. If they're not ......then work it and get a part-time job to fill in the blanks w/o complaining.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But you get most of your experience through teaching, osmosis (as in reading and being around fellow writers) and repetition. How much useable experience for the next step are you going to get from a fantasy sports startup? Hell, you can start your own blog (s!) and get equal experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted