1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Sensation Rebecca Black 'Performs' on Jay Leno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011

13-year-old Rebecca Black, the pop culture superstar sensation with 40 million Youtube hits who is about to receive a restraining order from all of the TGI Fridays in North America, made her late-night talk show debut. Rebecca charmed Bradley Cooper, said she's donating the profits from her single to charity and told Jay that she didn't have to audition for the Ark Music Factory. Well, Rebecca didn't have to audition, but the $2,000.00 personal check her mom cut did. And guess what? It passed! Thank the auto-tune gods for that, because if it didn't we'd never get to see her perform last night. I use the term "perform" as loosely as I use my bong.

This feels like something you might see if you walked down into the basement and caught your sister singing karaoke to an audience made up of her favorite stuffed animals. But Rebecca seems like a sweet girl and she is pretty good at mouthing lyrics into a mic. She's ALMOST as talented as Britney Spears. Brit Brit better hold her weave, because Rebecca is coming to snatch that thing right off!
    http://www.dlisted.com/node/41302#comments

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read she's donating all the money she's earning from the song to relief efforts in Japan. And I don't think this is a small amount. Hell - she has better PR instincts than most real singers.

3. Deeper_Background

Rebecca Black's 'Friday' - An Acting Masterclass.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The venom for this girl is amazing. I thought she came off great in that interview with Leno - Very sweet and genuine. Yeah, she can't sing, but I don't think this was ever some devious plan to make her into a recording star. Just some upper-middle to high-class family letting their 13-year-old daughter have some fun. If it was some excessive "my super sweet 16" party on MTV, she would have drawn far less ire.

5. Deeper_Background

It really doesnt sound any different than Britney's early stuff, except for the really bad lyrics.
    Lady Gaga Defends Rebecca Black, Says "Friday" Is "Genius"

Today 7:46 PDT

Do you, like millions of others, think YouTube's much-maligned sensation Rebecca Black is the worst singer ever? That her song, "Friday," is beyond cheesy? That she oughta do music lovers the world over a favor and just pack in her dreams of pop stardom now?

Well, Lady Gaga has a message for you: You're full of s--t.

MORE: Who's laughing at Rebecca Black now?

No less an arbiter of all things cool, outré and, let's be honest, totally wacky, has come to the defense of the 13-year-old auto-tune aficionado, addressing the Rebecca Black phenomenon (and her phenomenal public backlash) while chatting to the tech geeks at a "Google Goes Gaga" Q&A session.

So what did Gaga have to say about this young girl's, um, talent?

"I think it's fantastic," she said. "I say Rebecca Black is a genius and anyone that's telling her she's cheesy is full of s--t."

So there you have it—though the best part of Gaga's response is the stony, defiantly eyebrow-raising "and…?" face she locks into after succinctly delivering her verdict.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b232623_lady_gaga_defends_rebecca_black_says.html#ixzz1HZMAQUf6

Draft saved Draft deleted