1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Question. Please Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I'm trying to trim some fat from our monthly expenses. One of the areas I can scale back is the internet service — I think.

I have no idea what things like Kbps means. And I have no idea how big 2GB of monthly usage is.

That said, my computer is on and online pretty much all day. I use it for my MSN Messenger, web browser and email, through work, hotmail and yahoo! I don't have an email account set up through my provider. I don't download music or movies. But I watch Youtube clips, news clips, download PDFs, etc. I don't have my own website either.

Here are the details on the package I have now:
    * Modem set-up of up to 7.0 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload.
    * Use Express for music, games, online shopping and instant messaging.
    * A 60GB monthly usage allowance.

And here is the cheapest:
    * Modem set-up of up to 500 Kbps download and 256 Kbps upload
    * Use lite web surfing and instant messaging
    * A 2GB monthly usage allowance

There are two more in between.

My question, is the one I have now too much? And is the cheapest one too little?

I ask here because I don't want to be convinced or suckered on the phone with a sales person.

Any help would be great!

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You'll burn through 2 gigs pretty quickly. My package has a 5 gig limit (AT&T Wireless), and I average about 4-4.5 per month -- and I use mine pretty much the same way you use yours, Pete.

3. Pete Incaviglia

So this might be better?

* Modem set-up of up to 1.0 Mbps download and 256 Kbps upload.
    * 5 Speed Boosts per calendar year.
    * A 25GB monthly usage allowance.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

We have a winner. Based on what you're using it for, speed isn't going to matter as much. You might notice you're waiting a bit more for pages to load but given the savings, I assume it'll be worth it for you.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

If that's the next step up from 2 gigs, yep, Pete. That's what you need. You'll never come close to 25 gigs.
    Hell, if they've got something in the 10-15 gig range, that's even better. You'd have to have one helluva month to top 10 gigs.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If we make everyone's internet go really slow, could we keep our jobs longer?

7. Pete Incaviglia

Yeah. I screwed up. There is mine (which I listed in the original post) and the cheapest (also listed in the original post) and just the one between them. It saves me $10 a month. Not much, but money in my pocket.

Draft saved Draft deleted