1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Overtakes Newspapers As News Source

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by philly fanatic, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Reacher

Reacher Member

That kind of change doesn't happen suddenly. It happens gradually. And it is happening relatively rapidly right now.

When today's 20-somethings become 30-,40- and 50-somethings, they still are not going to read newspapers.

It's over for print. It doesn't make sense except as a very specialized niche publication or as a novelty. Not with today's - and tomorrow's - iPhones and Blackberrys and Kindles.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Equating newspapers with books and magazines is silly. People get their information online not just because it's free (although that helps), but because it's FRESH. It has nothing to do with people not wanting to read or people having an aversion to paper.

And CM: Lose the tie. You'll be happier. :)

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Of course it's over for print and it's over for newspapers on the web as well. People will never take to newspapers on the Internet. The reason it's over is newspapers gave up. That is complete bullshit that 30, 40 and 50 somethings will not read the paper. I do not argue the battle is OVER. It is over. It didn't have to be this way. I think newspapers need to speed up the death process. Go web only. NOW. So we can speed up the funeral.

4. I don't buy that. Most current 30, 40, 50 somethings didn't read newspapers in their 20's, even those who read newspapers now. Print can survive, but only if we make it worthwhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted