1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet OUTRAGE!!!! at Stephen Colbert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if he does apologize. I don't think he did anything wrong, but that doesn't mean he won't either clarify his comments. I'm guessing since he did it over Twitter, if an apology comes, it will be on Twitter and not on the show.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jr/shotglass being a good critic of satire is actually really funny.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To bad Twitter wasn't around back in the day....

@WashingtonNFL And our team name will be the Washington Redskins!

We as a nation have been able to whittle down our (fixed) collective indignation to 140 characters. #Progress.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bing!

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The article says the Twitter account on which it the tweet was posted is "not affiliated with Stephen or the show." It's run by Comedy Central pr flaks, and it appears to be common practice to quote jokes from the show on the feed. Unfortunately, without the context of the bit, this came off pretty ugly.

Colbert has no reason to apologize. Frankly, neither does Comedy Central.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How does Dat Nguyen, former Cowboy and current sports radio guy, not get what Colbert's doing?

Maybe it's because Snyder's thing has been mocked quite a bit locally, but it seemed like even without the video clip of the whole bit it was extremely clear what the joke was and who was the butt of it.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except they were already nicknamed the Redskins when they moved from Boston.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What happens a lot, and I have no idea if that is the case here, but a lot of times people are asked about these "mini-scandals" and the first they're hearing of it is from the reporter/talk show host who is looking for a quote or reaction. If that question is asked without proper context, we shouldn't be surprised by the response.

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

If he offended someone he should say something to the effect of "I am sorry if someone was offended. It was satire. I didn't mean any offense." Then move on. What's the big deal?

10. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

If nothing else, all this has led to an all-time classic episode of the Colbert Report tonight. Pure brilliance.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/full-episodes/u4jfik/march-31--2014---biz-stone

Draft saved Draft deleted