1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Message Board "Death" Is this a good story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magic In The Night, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I Internet-knew two people who had life-threatening car accidents within a year of each other, except neither were remotely true. One was a glorywhore who wanted everyone to miss her1 and talk about how wonderful she is and how much life sucked without her around and please get better. The other was having computer problems and wasn't going to be online for a while, so he said fuck it and created a cover.

It's only a story if it delves more into the phenomenon of fake suicides/accidents/Internet drama. Otherwise, who cares outside of that one Springsteen forum?

1 -- It was later revealed that she was a he. Hey baby, take a walk on the wild side.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'd bet $1 million that story was written by someone who posts, or at leasts lurks heavily, on that board. The way it's written I don't see how anyone picking it up at the newsstand could get past graf 10. If significantly re-worked and supplemented, something like it could be a great enterprise piece. As it is, however, it's not much of a story at all. It'd be like someone here doing a feature on Drip for the front of their paper.

4. I also thought it could have delved more into this phenomenon to give it a broader appeal. Still, I expected to just glance through it, but I ended up reading every word. I don't know ... I just found it interesting. To me, that makes it a worthwhile story, even if it doesn't affect my life at all. It's the kind of story I enjoy seeing in newspapers, something unexpected.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I agree with this.

Dude pulled a scam on a bunch of people on a message board. Who cares?

Now, more from the professor and others talking about this phenomenon, would have made it better. With other examples from other sites, they could have squeezed a couple of stories out of this. As it is, a single Internet community got duped.

Also: the St. Pete Times seems to find stories.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/21/AR2010022103692.html?hpid=news-col-blog

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

What are you saying?!? ;D

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You'll have to wait for my A1 story in tomorrow's Plain-Dealer just like everyone else.

8. It's not news... but it's a story, and an intersting one.
    'Specially for this generation. How many people my age or younger post on message boards and can prolly think of at least one poster (Hi Drip!) who fits this profile?
    Not to mention the fallout on the message board as a result of the whole thing. I can see that type of thing happening here just as easy.

9. Piotr Rasputin

I'm just impressed they found room on A1 with the Olympics about to end and the Chile earthquake. Plus whatever local news happens down there.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That story was good in the beginning, but then it went too far nowhere.

11. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I thought it was a great read, and I'd read it before it was posted on the board. Kruse is a friend and an outstanding writer and reporter.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Interesting take. Maybe I'll give it another read.

Oh . . . I see.

Never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted