1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet mean-spiritedness hits a new low

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So there is this Web site called "People of Public Transit."

Basically it's a meanie site in which people snap photos of fashion disasters on public transit and post them.

Hardee har har.

Site says that if someone requests their photo removed, they will do so. Chicago woman requests photo be removed. Site refuses. She enlists Chicago Tribune columnist's help:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/problemsolver/ct-biz-0926-problem-fastwolf-20100926,0,1506111.column

Site removes the photo.

Site sees the Tribune article.

Site replaces every photo on the site with hers:

http://www.peopleofpublictransit.com/celebration-extravaganza/#comments

This woman was just minding her own business, traveling back and forth from work every day, trying to earn a living. The fact that someone pulls this shit just to be an asshole disgusts me to no end. I understand there is no legal right to privacy when you are in public, but that doesn't mean that we can't try to pressure people like this to have some civility.

Everyone who reads this thread should post on the site's comments and let the proprieters know what they think of behavior like this.

2. Dick Whitman

Re: Biggest jerk on the planet?

P.S. I don't even know what to say about the kind of people who would snap a photo of a total stranger, minding their own business, just to turn around and publicly humiliate them.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

People of Walmart isn't a new phenomenon. Maybe people would look in the mirror before they left home.

4. Dick Whitman

Or before they snap a picture of someone else in order to demonstrate their superiority.

Something tells me that it ain't a bunch of Jon Hamm and Brad Pitt lookalikes behind the camera.

5. Dick Whitman

I know you're right.

I just don't understand why someone would engage in that kind of behavior, the only purpose of which is to anonymously embarrass and bully someone else. Don't you stop at some point and think, "What a dick I am."

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

People of Wal-Mart rarely shows faces.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Internet is the new sideshow midway, and all we see is not merely observation, but a chance to have our 15 Ceiling Cat minutes.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I swear, someday, we're going to be reading about someone going postal about shit like this. A web site like that is going to humiliate the wrong person.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I thought People of Walmart was hilarious for about two days. Then it just seemed shitty and mean.

This one appears to have just skipped over the hilarious part and gone straight to shitty and mean.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The difference between this site and People of Walmart is POW blurs people's faces as to not embarrass them publicly. The purpose of the site isn't "Let's make fun of these idiots" it's "Can you believe these people go out in public like this?"

If this site had posted the photo of this broad but blurred her face out, I'd be fine with it.

This is just mean spirited and it reeks of some 19-year old kid putting it together and saying "No, I won't take your picture down bitch because I'm into heavy music like the Foo Fighters and, therefore, am cool."

I look forward to the day one of these site's creators gets his/her comeuppance.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ditto. People of Walmart cracks me up but most of the shots are poor quality and unrecognizable. Most of it is just wacky shit.

Now these guys just violated their own policy, still got thousands of extra hits but all to see one picture. That was smart.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I visit people of walmart just to make sure no one snapped a picture of me wandering the local "mega-lo mart."

Draft saved Draft deleted