1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet issues. Help Rosie!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 5, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, but I date college boys. . . geesh.

There're actually a lot of folks out of college with pages, believe it or not. And most college kids these days use Facebook, or so I was told by my college student brother.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Facebook is getting very stalker-like. When you log in, you now are feted with a list of all the actions taken by your Facebook friends (i.e. Joan left a message on Johnny's message board: "Can we screw tonight?" Mike posted a new picture). It's kind of creepy.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Excuse me, ma'am,

If you want someone to help Rosie, you've got the thread title right.

If you want help from Rosie, though, you need a comma in there.

4. sportschick

Eeewwwww. I've never checked out Facebook, but that's just really creepy.

And commas are overused. I'm on a mission to stamp them out. :p

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I think, that's a great idea SC

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

First, in order for your wireless router to work wirelessly, you need to set it up. The cabled portion will always work since it doesn't require the restrictions to be setup.

Second, the router's firewall settings are probably limiting your instant messaging programs.

I would suggest going to the manufacturer of the router's webpage and downloading the manual, if you don't have a copy already. From there it will tell you how to set it up properly.

Chances are you just need to locate the IP address of the default gateway or the DHCP server (likely the same number, also likely 192.168.0.1). Punch that number into the address bar on your browser and hit enter.

Good luck.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So, in other words, what you're saying, if I'm reading you right, is that many people are commatose?

8. sportschick

OK, back on topic.

I called the cable company this morning and they referred me to Motorola because it appears to be an issue with the modem. Motorola told me I needed to call Linksys, the folks who made my wireless card because "we don't support third-party hardware." Nevermind that the wireless card works fine elsewhere, which I told them. The woman pretty much refused to help.

I'm pretty damn close to just taking this modem back, exchanging it for a regular one and buying a router.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You need to connect to the router and set it up via the cable. Plug your computer into the router, get online and then download the manual. It will tell you what to do then.

10. sportschick

And that's what I did after speaking to that bitch at motorola, well that plus some help from my younger brother via phone.

I still can't connect to my IMs, and I've lowered all the firewalls I can find. I can't find the one for the modem, however, and I'm betting I've got it set too high.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The problem is most likely resident in your ISP. You will have to go back and speak with them.

If your wireless is working, everything should be working.

Draft saved Draft deleted