1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet issues. Help Rosie!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 5, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So I recently moved and got a new ISP, complete with an allegedly wireless cable modem.

Problem, I can't get the modem to work as a wireless one. I have to plug in. I also now can't connect with any of my IM programs, not AIM, YIM, MSN or myspace.

Help, please.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Look at the silver lining -- no MySpace.

Call the folks at Qwest, CableOne, or Micron, or whatever the ISP is and tell them you'll switch to another provider if the modem they gave isn't fixed within 24 hours. If they don't show up, change providers.

3. sportschick

Oh I can get on the myspace website, I just can't use the IM program they have.

I tried to call, but I was on hold for a half-hour. I'll call back tonight when I get off and there aren't as many people calling to bitch at them, but I thought maybe the wise folks here might have some suggestions in the meantime.

4. sportschick

How do you check the firewall settings? And my current browser's updated, and I'm not having problems browsing, just with the wireless and the IM programs.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Forget Rosie. Call the Geek Squad. Odds are 50-50 they will send over a scrawny, pale guy. 'Course it could be a chubby, pale guy.

6. sportschick

So I lowered my firewall, and it's still not working. Sigh. I'm sure it'll be something simple and I'll feel like a massive idiot when I call tonight.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Here's an idea. Go outside and talk to people face-to-face. :D

The wireless thing is almost for sure a hardware issue and needs to be replace, IMO.

8. sportschick

Hey now, that's just scary, dammit. Besides everybody's at work that I know right now.

I'd think the wireless thing was a hardware issue if it wasn't for the IM thing. It's just weird.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

There's the deal. You're in a new town and everyone you know is at work.

Go out and meet some new people. Take advantage of this golden opportunity to wear your new big(ger)-city shoes and take your modem on a walk. Go to Circuit City, Best Buy or Radio Shack and flirt your way into some free service from the techs.

10. sportschick

What's flirting? ;) :D ;D

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

She could flirt with the geek squad guy.

Or some other SportsJournalists.com member.

Or ... (fill in the blank).

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Something you do with the PlainDealer...
    And please don't take this the wrong way, but since you're out of college, aren't you a little ... well... you know... past MySpace's target age group?

Draft saved Draft deleted