1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet connection question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Nov 6, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I give.
    For the last few days, I'm having problems going to some websites. When I turn the computer on, fire up my browser and go to a site -- let's say this one -- my status bar will read "resolving sportsjournalists.com" and after a few seconds, will get an error message saying "SportsJournalists.com can not be found." When I try it again, it will go right to it and will continue to as long as I have the computer on. Some sites it will go right to, although it takes a little bit to find it; others it won't go to unless I go to another site first, then come back to that sites.
    And, yes, these are SFW sites.
    Happens all the time, and I've changed no settings.
    Thought it was my wireless network configuration, but when I plugged my desktop directly into the cable modem I still get the same thing.
    Lil' help from techies?

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

That's funny. I have a similar problem with ESPN.com and sports.yahoo.com

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You probably have a virus or some Ad-Ware. Do a full system scan and run some anti-adware software and you should be alright.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Time to shitcan that 486 running Windows '95 ....

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I have Norton AV 2006 and Zone-Alarm pro on both my laptop and desktop and the reaction (or lack of it) is the same on both.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Empty your temporary internet files cache?

Google the error message...you get a lot of good advice. I had a disaster over the weekend, the dreaded blue screen and no ability to boot..."UNMOUNTABLE BOOT ERROR!"

Proof that I spend too much time here, I am embarrassed to admit my first thought: somehow, this has something to do with the Boots thread.

(But googled the error message anyway, found nothing about Boots' dating problems, but did find the answer to my computer problem--probably would have cost me a few hundred bucks to have my computer guy come over to mess with it...)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it's not an error message. The computer cant find the website the first time you try. The second or third, it's there.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Did you try power cycling the whole system? Turn in all off, unplug the power to the modem, unplug the router....wait about 30 seconds....turn the computer back on, plug in the modem, then plug in the router....sometimes the signal just gets jammed up and messes up the connection.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If the page is loading the second or third time you attempt it, the likely culprit is communication. If you are using a wireless router it is possible that the signal is dropped briefly during a point at which you are looking to connect.

Another issue is often a result of bandwidth. If you have a wireless router, make sure it is secure and that no one is stealing the signal. Additionally, if you are downloading music/movies during this time, you may want to cease that operation. Your bandwidth is getting zapped by your other programs.

As 21 mentions, a full system shutdown might do some good. Power down the PC first and once that is off, power off your router, then power off your DSL/Cable Modem. Once that is down, power back on the modem, wait until it is fully booted to then power on the router. After that, you can power on your PC and see how things function.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yes, mom, I did... ;)

Went through an hour with Charter, after finally having me ping sites and trace routes, they said that it's my computers, not them... we shall see...

Actually, Pastor. I do have this encrypted (no one's gonna do to me what I do to them)... and ahave run the ethernet cable directly into the modem, bypassing the router. Same problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted