1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

International Moving companies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GoochMan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I'm relocating from CA to Hawaii...a major life and career change, to be sure...but first I have to be able to make the damn move.

I've already had a bad experience with one moving company, which was of my own making--did some research but not enough. Thank God I dumped them before they got a hold of my possessions, but now I'm in a pinch.

I'm supposed to be out of my place by Thursday, but alone I sit in a boxed-up apartment with no one to move and ship my stuff...and since the moving industry considers Hawaii an 'international' move (I guess it's because of that 2800 or so miles of Pacific Ocean between Cali and the Islands), my choices are more limited than the tried-and-true method of cramming it all in a U-Haul truck and motoring across the contiguous 48.

Anyone have any experience with moving companies-good and bad-that they could share?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think a good portion of the folks who move to or from Hawaii sell all their stuff and buy new stuff when they get there.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

+1.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Agreed...and we've culled about 50 percent of our stuff. But the other 50 percent is stuff we really want and/or need to bring with us.
    For instance, ain't no way I'm leaving behind our $3K Select Comfort King Size bed. We only have three pieces of furniture and some boxes, but it's stuff we need.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Gooch, it's Monday and you have to be out of your place on Thursday. Not much time to find a mover. You probably want to find a well known national moving company but they may consider it an expedited move (given the short notice) and charge you a premium. Good luck (and I don't mean that sarcastically)

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

YES. Sell, sell, sell. All that extra cash will come in handy when you're trying to adapt to island prices. Make sure to look around if there are garage sales by people moving out of the islands. I'm sure they'd be happy to foist their stuff on you once you're kama'aina, and for a reasonable price.

I made a similar move not too long ago. Now that you've culled 50 percent of your stuff, GM, you need to take the 50 percent of the stuff you kept and further divide into stuff that absolutely, positively has to go with you now and stuff you can either entrust friends to send or leave in storage and come back to collect. Odds are you don't need nearly as much stuff as you think.

If all else fails with your boxes, you could always mail them ahead of you (assuming you have a job in Hawaii or somewhere else to send them).

Draft saved Draft deleted