1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

International Luge Writers Association

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tim Sullivan, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

Now in its 30th year, the International Luge Writers Association has finally advanced to the critical membership card stage.
    Founded in Lake Placid during the 1980 Winter Olympics, the ILWA is committed to no dues, no meetings and good fellowship. There are two means of acquiring membership:

1) Prospective member must have covered at least one luge competition for an accredited news organization.
    OR
    2) Prospective member must have bought a beer for either of the ILWA's founders, Art Spander and Tim Sullivan.

Anyone who meets either of those requirements, and wishes to join need only send an E-mail request that includes a mailing address to Tim.Sullivan@uniontrib.com. Anyone interested in improving the design of the membership card is encouraged to do so.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

It's pronounced LOO-jay!

RB

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No. 2, great rule.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm in! Though I think YOU bought the beer.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With no dues and no meetings, I can see how there's good fellowship!

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I watched a guy cover a luge competition, does that count?

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I watched luge on television and read about it in the newspaper. Does that count?

8. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

Watching luge on TV does not count. The ILWA has its standards. Happily, you can still go the buy-the-beer route to membership.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The worst part about buying Art Spander a beer is having to listen to him tell you all about Journalism for the next 6 hours.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I've covered skeleton once, and would be willing to grow a Georg Hackl mustache? Do I qualify?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm sure I bought Tim Sullivan a beer in Maui in 1982. Sign me up.

12. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I would have bought Tim a beer during my stint in Cincy. But he didn't hang with my intern class!

Draft saved Draft deleted