1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intermediate copy editors, New York Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, May 27, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sports, but surely a good opportunity for someone:

--------------

The New York Times is seeking intermediate editors for its 8i editor training program.

Candidates for this program should have professional experience as an intern or entry-level journalist on a daily newspaper or news Web site. They must be proficient in grammar and usage, understand the application of house style, have a strong grasp of current events, be able to identify material that may need to be checked for accuracy and know how to undertake that checking, and demonstrate creativity in the writing of headlines and other display type.

Understanding of the elements of good journalistic practice and ethics at the level of The Times is essential. Experience using content management and publishing systems for print and the Web is expected. Some reporting experience is a plus, but not a requirement. Candidates are expected to show they meet these requirements through résumés, a testing process and interviews.

Intermediate copy editors can expect to work on the rim of a copy desk and may be assigned short term to reporting, news design and Web production roles as part of their overall training. As part of their regular duties, they will take part in a training program designed to increase their editing skills, with assessment tests at intervals. They can expect to work nights and weekends. Intermediate copy editors in the 8i program work for a probationary period of at least two years.

To apply, send a résumé to copyeditortraining@nytimes.com.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I suppose the "someone" this position is good for is 20-something, and just getting underway -- and not someone who has already been in the business for 10 or 15 years, is stuck freelancing now, and looking for a way to get back in or to move laterally in a new way that might suit their experience?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, it would have to be someone who can adopt style quirks like "N.F.L." Not sure I'd ever get used to that.

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

Wow. Now the NYT is shooing away candidates with "too much experience." Twenty-year vets need not apply. :mad:

The crappy part is that if I had applied to NYT for a rim copy desk slot in my 20s, I would've received a rejection letter telling me to get more experience first. I remember going to a job fair back in the 90s and the N.Y. Daily News only wanted people who were working for 100K circ. and up. The recruiter saw I was at a 30K paper, snorted at me and walked away.

5. HarryNutsack

HarryNutsack New Member

That recruiter probably has been laid off because he was making too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted