1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Woot item

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

today for us old types and, yes, I'm aware there's a woot thread. Deal with it.
    Anyway: http://www.woot.com/

I've never heard of anything like this. I have my dad's gigantic collection of show tunes and other music. One of my earliest memories was when he got his new "Hi Fi" and how much he enjoyed coming home from work and listening to his tunes. We're talking about 1,000 records.

Does something like this really work?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think DJ's use these types of things... so probably.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would think so..

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

Moddy, it will work, but they might not sound as good. Of course, they might just sound the same.

An MP3 is hamstrung because the sound is recorded in a binary code (1010111100011010101) that is limited in how precise it can recreate the sound.

The wax on the record does not have a limit to the exactness of the sound it can record.

If you want to take all the records down to a digital form, this looks great. They might not sound as good, though.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I've been thinking about getting one of these converters. I have tons of LP's, too.

I saw a couple in catalogs over the Holidays and they were around $200.

I'm wondering about the quality. Maybe at fifty bucks it's worth a shot. Haven't read any reviews yet.

6. 93Devil

If you just wanted something to play them on, I would look away from the USB connection.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have a player. I've wondered how to get them onto my computer.

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

My dad has one. He loves it. He has a HUGE collection of Vinyls because he used to work in radio and got them all the time when the station was done playing them. He also started collecting them at a young age, so we have a HUGE cabinet in the living room full of them.

9. 93Devil

If you want them on your computer, I think this would be the way to go.

You could also pay someone, but that would be thousands of dollars, but it would save you a ton of time.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Moddy, I searched "usb turntable" on cnet. Plenty of options:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?query=usb%20turntable&searchtype=products&tag=mncol;rbxcrb.2.a.2

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I'm gonna buy it. Worried about the quality of the stylus, but if it is lousy I'll use it as a Merry Go Round for the Flying Monkeys.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have the full-sized version of the Ion USB turntable. Love it, and it's very easy to use.

Draft saved Draft deleted