1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Tom Friedman Column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tom Friedman makes some interesting observations in today's column that are sure to be controversial.

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/opinion/04friedman.html?hp

"Of course, not all Muslims are terrorists. But it’s been widely noted that virtually all suicide terrorists today are Muslims. Angry Norwegians aren’t doing this — nor are starving Africans or unemployed Mexicans. Muslims have got to understand that a death cult has taken root in the bosom of their religion, feeding off it like a cancerous tumor.

This cancer is erasing basic norms of civilization. In Iraq, we’ve seen suicide bombers blow up funerals and schools. In England, seven out of the eight people detained in the latest plot are Muslim doctors or medical students. Doctors plotting mass murder? Could that be? If Muslim leaders don’t remove this cancer — and only they can — it will spread, tainting innocent Muslims and poisoning their relations with each other and the world."

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Second verse, same as the first ....... ::)

3. Boom_70

I don't see Friedman like that. I find his opinions very diverse.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I doubt that Spnited was talking about Friedman.

5. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

I'm about as liberal as they come -- Irish Catholic Boston Democrat, anyone? -- but I can't find anything wrong with that Friedman excerpt. Nothing illogical about the stark fact that suicide bombers = Muslims, even if Muslims don't largely = suicide bombers.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you, or a moderator, nuke the thread you started about this this morning, Boom? The one on which people pointed out that Friedman just stated the obvious...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon Ragu. You know Boom's childish game by now.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know Boom didn't nuke it. Only mods can nuke threads now.

9. Boom_70

No, I did not take down. In fact not sure why it was taken down in first place other than the fact the SportsJournalists.com is a shop of Muslim terrorist apologists.

Tom does point out the obvious but the obvious in this case sure upsets a lot of folks.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not sure if there's any point to adding to the discussion here, but at least Friedman gets to what my old boss in PR termed the "call to action."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boom . . . your first graf is a flat-out insult to a lot of folks, here.

Friedman's point remains one that is balefully obvious. Friedman's made a ton of money pointing out many things in ths big, wide, wonderful world that are balefully obvious. Good for him. Doesn't mean we're all going to bow down to
    his mode of thinking, five times a day.

We're all used to your extracting embarassing quotes from folks -- while blissfully ignoring the circumstances under which they were made. And we'll keep calling you on it . . . just like no one here is going to tolerate your running crap such as the above.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you posted Friedman's column here without the byline, everyone would be screaming that it was racist and divisive and completely inflammatory. Then it would be deleted. I wonder if Friedman gets that kind of reaction at the Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted