1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting thing in today's Gitmo sentencing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 30, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6510899.stm

I actually don't doubt this guy is guilty to what he pleaded and that he did fight with the Taleban. But am I odd for being uncomfortable with the fact that as part of his plea bargain he had to withdraw allegations he had been abused during his detention by the US military? It just smacks of something we don't do in America. They dangle less jail time and a return home to Australia in front of the guy, but not without coercing words out of him in return? To me it's really not much different than the Iranians parading those British Naval prisoners in front of cameras and coercing apologies out of them. The words are BS because of how they were elicited. In this case, I won't lose as much sleep because this guy is probably not an innocent in a hostile situation the way those sailors are. Still, does this seem wrong to anyone else?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Didn't you get the memo? If the bad guys do it, it's wrong. If we do it, it's OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted