1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting takedown of Whitlock.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrianM, Jun 11, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Name a country song that advocated killing a cop. And other examples can be counted on one hand: Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash for one. And every one of those deals with the consequences of such acts, and don't glorify them.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's not that they think money is everything. It's that the hip-hop culture is telling them being an entertainer or a criminal is the only way to make good money, rather than through education.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Country music has a lot of violence and cheatin:

That I dug my key into the side
    of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
    carved my name into his leather seats...
    I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
    Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

At least the hip hoppers are bangin hookers instead of
    someone else's gal
    slashed a hole in all 4 tires...

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And now he's stuck in Folsom Prison hanging his head and crying while happy people ride the train down to San Antone. Bad example. Don't think that's glorifying violence.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Papa loved Mama, Mama loved men. Mama's in the graveyard, Papa's in the pen."

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was bugging me.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay, we've come up with three, and all three had a moral at the end that violence doesn't work. The average rap album has double that number of songs glorifying violence.
    And the Carrie Underwood song is a bad example. Keying someone's car does not rise to the level of shooting people.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Many -- dare I say most -- entertainers don't have a college degree.

I would agree that hip-hop has long focused too much on the way life is than how it could be. And I'd agree that current hip-hop music is more an wanton abandonment of any long-term standard of living for the easy, immediate high of life (sex, drugs, etc)

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ya don't fuck with a man's pick up truck. People have been shot for less

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Not a good comeback.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Even the Bush-hatin' Dixie Chicks had Goodbye Earl. And the Thunder Rolls was Garth Brooks. And the Redneck Queen sings of Gunpowder and Lead. The only moral there was don't beat your wife, which I stand by.

If you want real country music, Mr. Bojangles was about being in prison. And Robert Earl Keen, the Road Goes on Forever, the accomplice gets away in the end.

Fancy was a hooker, and more of the fake stuff proclaims Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy, and the Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off. And one of Alabama's songs with the prettiest melody says, "When we make love/It's more to me than just an affair/I want you to know how much I care." That's some A-plus level bs right there.

Rap music may call them the B word and skeet, skeet on their faces, but for every Conway Twitty, there's a Keith Sweat. Seems like there's a lot of un-Biblical things going on in both realms, it's just worded differently.

Draft saved Draft deleted